Sunday 22 November 2020

City of Miracles


 Title : City of Miracles (The Divine Cities #3)
Author : Robert Jackson Bennett
Number of Page : 437
Publisher : Jo Fletcher

Shara Komayd, once Prime Minister of Saypur, has been assassinated.

News travels fast and far, even to a remote logging town somewhere northwest of Bulikov, where the silent, shaven-headed Dreyling worker 'Bjorn' picks up the newspaper and walks out. He is shocked and grieved and furious; he's been waiting thirteen years for Shara, his closest friend, to reach out to him - to tell him to come home. He's always believed she was running a long operation, that there would be a role for him at the right time. Now he has no one else in his life, and nothing to live for - except to find the people who did this.

Sigrud wasn't there for the death of his daughter Signe, and he wasn't there when his old comrade Shara was murdered. Now Bjorn is dead and Sigrud is back. And he will find answers, for Shara, and for himself. He's made a promise . . .

Review:
Warning: Spoiler!

This series officially becomes one of my favorite series of all time. Perfecto!

Even when I first read the blurb, I'd already felt slight pang in my heart. Shara was the main character in the first book. It felt like I lost my friend and I could imagine Sigrud would feel worst. He was exiled for more than ten years. He only had one thing to look forward to. That Shara would one day be able to call him back, that his sins would be forgiven, that he would no longer be a fugitive.

Alas, Shara was assassinated. So, Sigrud had nothing to lose now. He would take revenge. 

I think choosing Sigrud as the main character for this last book is great. He was probably the most intriguing character since the first book. And damn he was crazy. It was like he did not have any fear factor in his blood. The thing he did in this book made my heart stop beating several times, especially the cable car scene. The action scenes in this book were far more superior than the predecessors. 

What could I say? Everything about this book is perfect. I love the setting and vivid descriptions of the world. I love the characters. I love how the author could slip wise and profound quotes that made me sad. So many tragedies, just because of the gods. Even after they died, the tragedies still continued. 

There was one special scene that I remember. It was when Sigrud went to Bulikov for the first time since his last missions with Shara those years ago. For Sigrud, Bulikov had changed so much with the addition of technology, trains, and new buildings. But, he was still the same. I don't know why. This scene made my sentimental heart ache. I could not count how many times I felt like that during the reading experience. 

Such a great ending. I felt sad and satisfied at the same time. There were so many wise things I got from this series. I learnt a lot from the characters. This series made me think that maybe I would like adult books more than young adults now. But, let's see. 

“If one were to protest all the injustices of life,” says Sigrud, “great and small, one would have no time for living.”

The Divine Cities Series:
3. City of Miracles

5/5 

No comments:

Post a Comment