Monday 30 December 2013

City of Lost Souls


Title : City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5)
Writer : Cassandra Clare
Number of Page : 546 
Publisher : Margaret K. McElderry Books

The Demon Lilith has been destroyed and Jace freed. But when the Shadowhunters arrive, they find only blood and broken glass. Not only is the boy Clary loves missing, but so is the boy she hates: her brother Sebastian, who is determined to bring the Shadowhunters to their knees. The Clave cannot locate either boy, but Jace can't stay away from Clary. When they meet again, Clary discovers the horror of Lilith's magic--Jace and Sebastian are now bound to each other, and Jace has become a servant of evil. The Clave determined to destroy Sebastian, but it is impossible to harm one boy without destroying the other. 

Only a few people believe Jace can still be saved. Together, Alec, Magnus, Simon, and Isabelle make hard choices that get them no closer to severing the tie between Jace and Sebastian. They turn at last to the merciless, weapon-making Iron Sisters. If the Iron Sisters can't help, their only chance is to challenge Heaven and Hell--a risk that could claim their lives. 

And they must do it without Clary. For Clary is playing a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing is not just her life, but Jace's soul. She's willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost? What price is too high to pay, even for love?


In my opinion:
I looked forward to reading this book not because of the story, but because I wanted to meet the characters again. This is the kind of book that I buy because I have already been familiar with the world and the characters. I don't really care about the story as long as I could read the interaction between all characters.

This fifth installment was so thick. The plot was quite slow. The action and the story could have been shorter, but Cassandra Clare tried to make all characters important and giving contribution to the story. It felt kinda tedious sometimes. Also, there were four couples in this book. Every couples had their own lovey-dovey scenes which were not different to each other. Repetitive, really. The plot development was very bad. Luckily, I liked the characters especially Simon and Magnus. Even I liked the evil Sebastian. He had a strong character.

The good thing about this book was that every characters was given a chance to show their skills. I didn't like Maia and Jordan, though. They were too bland and I didn't care about their relationship at all. But, I really loved what Simon did. It was quite cool when he met Angel Raziel. Furthermore, I found his relationship with Isabelle interesting.

The main purpose in this book was to save Jace without telling The Clave. Clary was quite crazy and reckless for going alone to save Jace. But, I understood and respected her for her bravery and her love. I always think that people who could sacrifice themselves for the sake of others are very cool (because I don't think I can do it). However, Jace was such a difficult boyfriend to have. He was so troublesome. -.-

Anyway, I was so surprised finding that Magnus was born in Batavia at the time of Dutch colonial. He even said something in Indonesian at the end of the book. It was so funny (I'm so weird).

One more book and I'm done!

4/5

2 comments:

  1. do you always buy books to fulfill your need in reading?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi, sorry for the late reply. I think buying books has already been a disease to me. Disease of collecting things. It's just I happen to like reading :)

      Delete