Thursday 17 November 2011

Again The Magic


 Title : Again The Magic (Wallflowers #0.5)
Writer : Lisa Kleypas
Number of pages : 391
Publisher : Avon
My rating : 4/5

Synopsis :
She gave him her innocence . . .Lady Aline Marsden was brought up for one reason: to make an advantageous marriage to a member of her own class. Instead, she willingly gave her innocence to John McKenna, a servant on her father's estate. Their passionate transgression was unforgivable -- John was sent away, and Aline was left to live in the countryside . . . an exile from London society . . .and he took her love.
Now McKenna has made his fortune, and he has returned -- more boldly handsome and more mesmerizing than before. His ruthless plan is to take revenge on the woman who shattered his dreams of love. But the magic between them burns as bright as ever. And now he must decide whether to let vengeance take its toll . . . or risk everything for his first, and only, love.

Wow, I met Marcus Westcliff again from It Happened One Autumn. When I bought this book, I did'nt know that it was the prequel of Wallflowers series.

Anyway, this book is amazing. As always I was spell-bounded with Lisa Kleypas' writing. She has the most perfect style of describing emotions, expressions, and subjects that suits me well. I don't know, I just love the way she tells stories.

The story was quite common, about childhood friends who then became lovers and separated because of social status differences. Lady Aline Marsden had to protect John McKenna from her cold-hearted father. She sent him away by telling him that she had never even once loved him and she just considered him as a toy, an experience before she married gentleman from the same class with her. McKenna was hurt badly and her betray changed him into a man full of hatred.

Twelve years later, they met again. McKenna had been living in America and he came back, rich and more striking than before. He had sworn to himself that he would take revenge to Aline. He wanted her to feel the hardships and the destructions she had caused him. Aline knew that, but stil she could not refuse McKenna because she still loved him.

The story was nice although somehow I found the plots were quite boring. And there were too much love scenes, not only from Aline and McKenna but also the secondary characters which were Aline's sister, Livia and Gideon Shaw, McKenna's American partner. Well, I didn't mind with the side characters since I really liked Shaw. He was cynical, sweet, full of flaws, and gentleman from head to toe despite of his reputation. But still too much love scenes really bored me to tears although they were hot and full of tension whatsoever.

But the ending was perfect for both couples. I really like it.

"...I didn't want to get better. I wanted to die. Then Mrs. Faircloth showed me the letter... Mrs. Faircloth read the letter to me... and hearing the words you had written made me realize... that as long as there was a chance that you were in this world, I wanted to go on living in it."

I like Marcus although I never gave a damn about him when I read It Happened One Autumn a long time ago. The way he protected his sisters, Aline and Livia was just so cute. Especially when he growled in frustration because he couldn't do anything to prevent his sisters from loving the two notorious Americans.


Book rating rules
one star : It's just garbage. Why in the world could it be published?
two star : I don't like it. There's something wrong in this book. But, it's just my opinion.
three star : It was okay. Nothing special but it can refresh your day.
four star : It was good and entertaining. 
five star : Fantastic! Amazing! Satisfying! Genious! Should I say more?

3 comments:

  1. I think it really relates to any individual tormented by love, either CTE or PTS and a combination of both is quite cruel to the individual who suffers, a love/passion that is near impossible to be matched by another, Shakespeare I suspect knocked his own head a bit, in love, and in life. As for stars 4, no cather in the rye, but worth an eye or more.

    ReplyDelete