Sunday 28 August 2011

The Hunger Games


Title : The Hunger Games (Hunger Games #1)
Writer : Suzanne Collins
Publisher : Scholastic
Synopsis :
Twenty-four are forced to enter. Only the winner survives. In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Each year, the districts are forced by the Capitol to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the Hunger Games, a brutal and terrifying fight to the death - televised for all of Panem to see.

Survival is second nature for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who struggles to feed her mother and younger sister by secretly hunting and gathering beyond the fences of District 12. When Katniss steps in to take the place of her sister in the Hunger Games, she knows it may be her death sentence. If she is to survive, she must weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

WINNING WILL MAKE YOU FAMOUS. LOSING MEANS CERTAIN DEATH.


I didn't know what to expect from this book. But because there were so many good reviews about this book, I believed it would be good. 

And it is. This book kept me staying out late until 5 am, unable to put it down.
 

The first part of it actually bored me. Maybe I could not wait for the actual hunger games to start when the tributes killed each other. Yes, I was that sadistic waiting for the brutality :(
 

That's why I felt quite disappointed when I found out that there were not many fightings inside the book. The book was written in first POV and Katniss as the main character was not really involved in the killings. Her strategy was a good defence and avoidance. But I like the part where she struggled for life, trying to find food and water hopelessly.
 

Really, this book is very cruel. I mean killing each other was not enough and they had to find a way to survive in the wilderness. At least Suzanne Collins wrote it in purely first POV so that it was not necessary to show all the killing scenes.
 

I like Katniss. She was tough, serious, smart, and cautious. She was so cool. And her expertise in bow and arrow makes me love her more. I always like archers (like Legolas in the Lord of The Rings :D).
 

The romance was very little. The boys here are Gale and Peeta. Gale didn't get much scenes in this first book of the trilogy. So, I didn't bother to pay much attention to him. But Peeta who was together with Katniss joining the hunger games was a lovable character. He was not macho and great as usual dreamy male characters, but I like him. He seemed easy-going, although he was inside that crazy stupid game. He could laugh and joke in spite of his wounds. And he was so sweet to Katniss, loved her very much that it hurted him so bad when he knew that everything Katniss did was only for the games.
 

It is so long ago since I read good fantasy novels like Harry Potter and Eragon. The Hunger Games is really awesome. My complaint is only for the writing. It needs improvements in building real, strong, and memorable characters. Most of the side characters were not well-developed; like the members of prep team, Katniss' mother, and some of the tributes. I cannot help thinking that they were merely book ornaments without feelings and emotions. Hence, I only give this book four and half stars. 

Dreamer needs diet seriously,


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment