Friday 3 April 2020

Steelheart


Title : Steelheart (Reckoners #1)
Author : Brandon Sanderson
Number of Page : 384
Publisher : Ember

David wants Steelheart — one of the Epics said to be invincible, who killed David's father. For ten years, David has studied and planned for revenge. He wants to join the Reckoners. These rebels assassinate the Epics, super-powered tyrants. He has seen Steelheart bleed.


Review:
I think I have too much expectations toward the name Brandon Sanderson. His Mistborn and The Stormlight Archive are ones of the best fantasy series I have ever read. But, the Reckoners is not even that good. 

The story was about the world where some people developed super powers after a calamity. They were called Epics and they were the bad people. 

When he was young, David saw an Epic named Steelheart killed his father in front of his eyes. Steelheart was invincible. But on that one day, David saw him bleed. 

After that, David was obsessed making notes about every Epics and their vulnerabilities. His mission was to find The Reckoners, a rebel group who killed bad Epics and joined them.

I could imagine this book becoming a movie. It would be engaging and quite cool. But, I think I'm just fed up with superheroes theme. I could not feel attached to any of the characters in this book. The love interest was so bland. She was just beautiful, great fighter, tsundere type, and have no personalities. It was a classic bad teenager romance. Very superficial and no connection or meaningful banter whatsoever. David liked Megan because she was beautiful. Ugh.

The concept of the story itself is quite interesting. Ordinary people vs Epics. The obstacles are too great and impossible to beat. Also, I could not guess Steelheart's vulnerability at all. But, really. I don't care if Steelheart died or not. He was just a villain with a name. I could not relate to him anyway. 

I think someone who like fast-paced stories would like this book. The action scenes are very cool. Brandon Sanderson never disappoints in that part. I just prefer more parts in building the characters. Maybe the second book would be better. 

3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment