Friday 9 September 2011

Catching Fire


Title : Catching Fire (Hunger Games #2)
Writer : Suzanne Collins
Publisher : Scholastic
Synopsis :
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Suzanne Collins continues the amazing story of Katniss Everdeen in Catching Fire, the second novel of the phenomenal Hunger Games trilogy.

I think this is much better than the first book in terms of surprises and ending. But the style of writing didn't improve. It felt raw and strange sometimes especially with lack of descriptions. The plot was too fast, it was like watching action film not reading a book. However, this book was really a page-turner that I couldn't stop reading.

Actually I didn't peek on goodreads reviews as usual before reading this book. I wanted to guess what happened as I read the book. Maybe because of that, I was surprised with almost everything. The rebellion, the hidden motives, the conspiracy were unpredictable (or maybe I was just too dazzled with the story that I was lazy to predict anything).

I still like Katniss. Well, I knew she was ignorant and cruel to Peeta and Gale. But I understand why she was like that. Years of depending only on herself, she couldn't easily break off her strong personalities. Most of the times she had to use her brain and not emotions. That's why she didn't express love the same as normal people did.

Oh, I love Peeta. It is true that Gale understands Katniss better than anyone. But I don't care. Peeta deserved Katniss more since he put Katniss above anything else in his lives.


"Because I don't want you forgetting how different our circumstances are. If you die, and I live, there's no life for me at all back in District Twelve. You're my whole life. I would never be happy again. It's different for you. I'm not saying it wouldn't be hard. But there are other people who'd make your life  worth living."

Such dedication... I was speechless. Although I knew slowly Katniss falling in love with him, I wanted her to realize faster how perfect Peeta for her. Forget Gale. 
 
So sad for Peeta... He was captured at the end of the story and yet Katniss still hadn't realize that her sorrow and painful heart was because of her love for Peeta. I meant it was soooo obvious when she felt that their last kiss had been different.  

Four and half stars only because of her writing. *Sigh... The story itself is very perfect. 

Dreamer must change the sleeping habit... 


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment